Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with celebrities. It is a strange emotional connection, although it is easy to conceive. It stems from a very intense dislike of their attitudes, their bodies, their artistic choices and artistic freedom, which (for the most part) has been granted solely on the basis of their looks. I despise the fact that they think they can do anything. True, they take some pretty ballsy chances entertaining us, (eg. Catwoman), but it's all done with an underlying belief that the people are stupid and will buy it just because.

Celebrities become little brat-children because they have an entire team of sycophants blowing smoke up their asses. It really is as bad as the rumors say.
I would say I have no use for them, but that would be a lie. They supply infinite hours of entertainment outside of the movies and television when they break up with someone or dress horribly or show up drunk and falling out of their clothes at some release party.

You remember how popular Jerry Springer was in the late '90s? The main draw of that show (and shows like it) was its "freak show" image. The common folk were bizarre, grotesque, ludicrous and fake beyond belief. And yet, they are still seen as somehow "beneath" celebrities who tend towards the same behaviors. The only difference is that idols misbehave on a grander scale and with better-looking people.

So, can I offer a solution? We can continue to pry into the private lives of celebrities as long as we are allowed to put it in perspective. I hope that as we age, non-celebrities can recognize the other as a spectacle and not an icon worthy of adoration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home