Friday, March 25, 2005

How can I look alterna if everyone else looks alterna?

The methods we used ten years ago to identify alterna-kids have to be retired because I've noticed that fashion-wise, everyone dresses like an alterna-kid. Maybe it's because it's just that time.... you know, every few years, the dominant culture co-opts the styles and fashions of various subcultures, and soon, (for example) everyone is wearing Chuck Taylors. (Now, that is a very OLD example, since I started wearing All-Stars again in 1994 when they became popular again for the 3rd time.)

My personal definition of "alterna-" dates back to 1994 when I became sub-culturally aware. I surrounded myself with these so-called Alterna-boys and Alterna-girls, thinking that we were at the cutting edge of fashion, music, and literature. Of course, to the true originators, we were totally posers. I realize that now. I mean, if I lived in New York City, instead of Kansas, I would probably have had more license to claim residence on "the cutting edge."

Anyway, fashions are changing. I wonder what kids will dress like in 5 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home