Videos
Now I rarely watch MTV, but I had it on out of curiosity this morning, since they were having a rare "Video Countdown"... the concept of actual videos on MTV (full-length videos, no less) piqued my interest, so I tuned in. I was surprised to find that the bulk of these rock artists on the Spankin' New Countdown remind me of New Wave bands from the early-to-mid-'80s.
I mean, it isn't particularly original, but the hair, the clothes, the lyrics, even the music are all more reminiscent of that era than any other bands I've heard on the radio.
The whole thing made me wonder if any of this would have been possible if it weren't for The Indie/Retro Bands that came around at the turn of the century (e.g. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives). Now, those bands focused more on an era that reached further back than 1982, but their followers really focus on synthesizers, power chords, and whatnot. All they need is Flock of Seagulls Hair, and it will officially be the winter of 1983.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home