Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Surrounded

I am surrounded by conservative dudes. I mean, practically all the men I work with are conservative in some way. They're conservative about religion, conservative about sex, conservative about war... I don't know how this happened. For a woman who is so liberal she borders on Socialist, I sure have found myself in some odd company. I have no earthly idea how I managed to get myself into social circles with them... and yet I wonder if it's really so bad being conservative.

I myself am pretty conservative when it comes to sexual mores... I have a very firm idea of what's acceptable and what isn't. X-tina makes me cringe, but I get a kick out of Samantha from Sex and the City. Aren't they essentially the same person? I would guess that the increasingly blurred line between entertainment and reality is what makes my preferences seem hypocritical.

Is it that being "out there" with your sexuality is fine in fiction, but not fine in real life?
(Don't get me wrong, I get all prickly when someone declares that gays and lesbians are always "putting their sexuality in our faces," so I'm not one of those people.)

Maybe my hang-ups about low-rider jeans, promiscuity, and Elimidate means I'm moderate. Or maybe it's because I'm a feminist.

In any case, I hate knowing that I would probably disagree with my new pals on a variety of important issues. And when I disagree with someone, I usually get really offended by what they have to say. I should try not to get so offended... but I have this complex where I think I'm always right. And I probably am.

2 Comments:

Blogger cindy. said...

this word feminism is very interesting. i consider myself a feminist as well and i love x-tina and low rider jeans. and sometimes lap dances...

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Steph! said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home