Saturday, May 21, 2005

Klutzy girl = Everygirl?

Watch a preview for a romantic comedy in which there is a female lead. Do you notice how she falls down or runs smack into something or accidentally hurts someone? It's not really that funny, so why are these scenes placed so prominently in the trailers and TV spots for these films?

I'm thinking it has to do with an equation that Hollywood has concocted: klutziness = fallibility = likeability. Huh?

Producers want us (women) to think, "See? She falls down and makes a fool of herself too! She's just like me!" ...and thus, our money spent on a ticket is a sure thing. I don't know about that. If anything, it just underscores the silly idea that grown women making klutzy mistakes is cute and cuddly.

The Neurotic Girl-Woman whose image took hold in the late 90's is still here. I hope she leaves soon.

Note: The flip side of this, of course, is the Man-Boy whose ubiquity in sitcoms, beer commercials, and talk shows indicates a reluctance on both sides to grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home